Actor, Comedian, Producer
Sylvia is the founder of Fed by Fire Productions, a founding member of Broads’ Word Ensemble, and a member of Little Fish Theatre.
Fed by Fire Productions explores various media to engage audiences in character driven stories that highlight underrepresented voices such as women, people of color, and the LGBTQ community.
Broads’ Word Ensemble is theatre by women, about women, for everyone.
Little Fish Theatre is an Artists’ ensemble whose mission is to present quality productions year-round, drawing material from the wealth of new, contemporary and classic plays that lend themselves to an intimate performance space.
Where I sweat
- Shaolin Wushu Center Master Hu challenges everyone to do their best and keeps the atmosphere light with his quick wit.
- YogaWorks iyengar yoga helps keep the alignments straight.
Where I sharpen my skills
- Beverly Hills Playhouse ongoing intensive scene-study acting classes for both the professional actor and those who are looking to develop themselves into professional actors.
- Carolyne Barry Studios recognized as one of the best Commercial Audition training courses in Los Angeles. Other successful training courses include scene study, improvisation, hosting, comedy and musical theater.
- Actors Creative Workshop workshops and intensives taught by industry professions dedicated to helping each actor get to the next level.
- Actors Key workshops and acting classes with casting directors, agents, managers, and other industry pros, for professional actors.
- Acting Bridge casting director, manager and agent workshops with industry professionals.
Where I spend my time online
- Hulu The British channel has taken over my life.
- Netflix I can’t pass up, as my grandpa calls them, a good sh*t-kicker, and I have a queue full of art house flicks I missed in theaters, again.
- Pinterest with boards like “When I find time, I’ll do this” and “Kitchen Approved.”
Successful projects I helped crowdfund
- IAMA Theatre Company 2013-2014 Bicoastal Season continues support for unique new works by emerging contemporary American theatre artists in Los Angeles and, new this season, New York City.
- Highway 15 Three stops. Two drifters. One wild ride. A short action dramedy about a female thief and her naive victim/protegé.
- Lay in Wait a short drama: A married woman in an extramarital affair must find her wedding ring in the woods before the sun sets.
- The Rise Of Blue Ivy Carter A parody hip hop song & animated music video
- Help Jane Austen Write the Next Big YA Novel Comedic, interactive, improvised theater piece at the NYC Fringe
- Down & Dangerous a full-length crime thriller. “A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.”
- The Devil and Daisy Jane a modern pop/rock musical based on the age-old tale of Faust.
Artist friends I adore
- Rosalind Rubin actor from the other LA.
- Jerin Julia actor and musician whose EP Love Is Not dropped 11/11/13. The title track is phenomenal.
- Stephanie Sanchez actor who served in the Navy.
- Ashley Platz actor, yoga instructor and poet.
- Jonathan Ade director of the Meditation Series and Lay in Wait.
- James Lontayao actor and stand-up comedian.
- Steven Krimmel actor and filmmaker.
- John T Woods actor and star of Down and Dangerous.